October 26, 2010

SVL Extension: Golden Spike Laid!!

The day has come and the golden spike has been laid on the new extension. I have finished the trackwork for the extension and have completed the connection to the existing layout.





Here is where the tracks will cross a city street using 3 plate girder bridges. I plan to scratch build these bridges so in preparation for that, I cut bases for the bridges out of .60 styrene sheet. These will be ballasted bridges so the base will not be seen in the finished product. I will build abutments for each end and then build the plate girders which will rest on top of the bases. Until then, I am using a piece of foam to support the crossings. The track is attached to the bases using the same adhesive caulk that I used elsewhere.

I am currently working on feeder wires and turnout control. Then, the trackwork needs to be tested with a few trains. But maybe not necessarily in that order.

No comments:

Post a Comment