October 11, 2010

SVL Extension: Track Laying Begins

Track laying has begun. I was able to get some of the projects completed around the house and steal enough time on the railroad to start laying track.

If you are wondering, I am using Atlas Code 55 flex track and Atlas Code 55 No.5 turnouts. I chose the number 5 turnouts since this extension is depicting a congested industrial area and because I had a bunch of them available.

I use clear adhesive caulk to secure my track. After cutting and filing the ends of the flex to fit, I put down a bead of the caulk on top of the cork. Then, I smooth it out with a scrap piece of cork. I take a few minutes to align the track by eye while the caulk is still wet. Then, the track is pressed down into the caulk and held in place by push pins until the caulk sets (about 30-45 minutes).

Note: I do not put adhesive under the turnouts at all. They are allowed to float and are held in place by the adjacent trackwork. This makes it a little easier for me to remove them later if needed for replacement or maintenance.

I have finished the trackwork on one side of the extension and I am now working on the other side. Here's a few pictures of what I have completed.





No comments:

Post a Comment