July 26, 2010

SVL Extension: Demolition Begins

I have taken the first construction step in adding the new addition to the existing Southview Lines. I started demolishing where the new pennisula will join to the layout. Demolishing is such a strong word, I should call it selective demolition. I started by removing the front fascia and scrapping off the liquid nails adhesive that held it on. I feel good about the stability of the rest of the fascia because this section was attached very firmly! Next, I directed my attention to the trackwork. Luckily, I have not started scenery in this area yet. It was pretty easy to pry up the flex track (it was secured originally with tub & tile adhesive) using a putty knife. Then, I removed the turnouts. I never solder the rail joiners at turnouts so this was easy. I also clipped the wiring going to the turnout throws and any feeder wires. The last step was to pry up the cork roadbed which was held down with white glue. This just peeled up off of the foam surface. I am left with what you see in the pictures. I will fill any ditches with scraps of foam as I lay the new track and fill the rest when I do scenery on this section.




Next is benchwork. I plan to build the new pennisula using the L-girder method. I also plan to make my "lumber" out of plywood. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment