July 20, 2010

SVL Extension: Design

I have been playing around with a design for the new Southview Lines extension. I really enjoy trackplans that feature an urban switching design and taller structures that impart an "urban canyon" kind of feel. So, that is what I was after when designing the new extension of the SVL. My goal was to have more complex trackage in between large warehouses and multi-story brick buildings. I wanted to have the operator look over the buildings to see his train navigating the right of way. Hopefully, I have accomplished that.

First, to give you a better idea of how the new extension fits in with the existing layout, I have included an image of the layout as it stands today.




I was never really happy with the way I had to squeeze the small yard in the city area. The trains don't navigate this section too easily as there are too many turnouts too close to curves and it just doesn't flow too well. This seemed like the ideal location to add an extension and turn my "L" shaped layout into a "U" shape.


So here is my proposed design. I tried to maintain larger radius curves and provide that urban switching feel to the layout.













Next up, DEMO!

No comments:

Post a Comment