August 10, 2010

SVL Extension: Backdrop

Over the weekend, I was able to build the backdrop that runs down the middle of the pennisula. I used 1x2 pine to construct this. I made a frame and covered it with 1/8" hardboard. Construction is pretty straight forward as can be seen in the photo below. The two longer legs at each end will anchor it to the benchwork.



I covered the framework with 1/8" hardboard on both sides. I attached the hardboard with Liquid Nails construction adhesive. It was easier to attach it while the frame was laying on the floor. I laid one piece of hardboard on the floor, applied the adhesive, laid the frame down, applied more adhesive to the other side of the frame and laid the other piece of hardboard on top. Then, I weighted it all down until the adhesive set.

To attach it to the benchwork, I first cut two slots in the cross pieces so the legs of the backdrop would slide into the slot. Then, the whole backdrop is attached with screws to the cross pieces. Later, I will remove the backdrop and paint it with the sky color.

Here is how it looks installed.





Next up is a little pre-wiring. Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. Glad to see you back working on the layout, but his 100+ degree here in NTX takes a toll on us garage builders. I am drywalling a space presently in my garage (hope to have a/c some day) check my progress here http://s117.photobucket.com/albums/o61/dwyaneward/NewLayoutRoom/

    Dwyane
    Fairview, TX (up by McKinney)

    ReplyDelete