August 23, 2010

SVL Extension: Foam Tabletop

I added the foam tabletop to the extension. I used some leftover foam that I had saved from other projects. Some was green and some was pink. That is why it is two colors in the pictures below. The green is 1.5 inches thick and the pink is an inch. This gives me a 2.5 inch thick base to build on.

I attached the foam with tub & tile adhesive. I used this to attach the foam to the wood cross pieces and to add the second layer. The process was simple, cut a piece to fit, apply the adhesive, stick down the foam, and then add weight so it dries flat. I used model railroad magazines that I have in cardboard storage boxes but you can use anything you have on hand.

Now I am ready to start transferring the trackplan to the table surface in full size. I am anxious to see how things fit as I have drawn them on the plan.

You will also notice that I added cleats to support the fascia. A couple are not straight so I will address that but it will be covered later by the fascia.







Please let me know what you think so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment