September 20, 2010

SVL Extension: Connection to Existing Layout

Here is how the new extension is connected to the existing layout. I built a tray that is about 2 inches deep and about 5 inches wide that runs the length of the existing layout where the new extension connects. One side of the tray is firmly attached to the benchwork of the existing layout. The other side has a board where the benchwork of the extension can be clamped to. I am using two clamps to attach the new benchwork. I may replace these with two bolts later on.

You may be wondering why I made a tray instead of just clamping directly to the existing benchwork. Well, this is where a girder bridge over a road will be located. The tray allows me to fill it with foam and slope the scenery down in this area for a road to pass under the tracks.



No comments:

Post a Comment