September 7, 2010

SVL Extension: Making Cork Roadbed

That is correct, I am making my own cork roadbed. I went this route for a few reasons but the main one is that it is more economical. I can make cork roadbed for about half the price of the commercial product. Granted, mine does not have the beveled edges but I take care of this with a simple bead of caulk.

To make my cork roadbed, I went to the local hardware store and purchased sheet cork. The stuff I got was 1/8" thick X 48 inches wide. I just bought 2 linear feet which will be more than enough for my extension. I then set up a make shift cutting station and began cutting 7/8" wide strips from the 48 inch side.

From the left over sheet, I made some turnout pads. To make these, I traced a turnout on a piece of cardstock and cut it out for a template. Then, I traced the template on the sheet of cork. Then it is a matter of cutting each one out.







Now, I am anxious to start gluing down the cork.

2 comments:

  1. Mike,

    Where do you buy the sheet cork in the DFW area.

    Dwyane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dwayne,
    I bought my sheet cork at Elliot's Hardware. I went to the location on Maple Ave because it is close to my work but I know they have other locations in the metroplex. It comes in either 4ft wide or 3ft wide rolls and you buy it by the linear foot.

    I hope this helps.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete